The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) offers personalized, unbiased counseling and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their families. SHIP can help Medicare beneficiaries make informed decisions and answer questions about Medicare coverage, benefits and coinsurance. SHIP can also assist beneficiaries with Medicare Savings Programs available through the state. SHIP Volunteers and Counselors are not affiliated with any insurance company and does not attempt to sell insurance.
SHIP Specialized Volunteers are responsible for providing topic-specific counseling to Medicare beneficiaries, their caregivers, family members and other advocates. Specialized Volunteers are responsible for knowing the details about Medicare Advantage Plans, Part D Drug Plans, and Medigap (Supplemental) Plans. These volunteers are knowledgeable about the various insurance companies and benefits they offer and changes in Medicare that will affect beneficiaries.
• Must volunteer a minimum of 10 hours monthly
• Must attend monthly trainings
• Completion of SHIP Volunteer Training
• Become SHIP Certified
• Must be willing to travel occasionally to events in Jefferson County
• Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of insurance